Working in the port area
Responsibilities of companies operating in the port area
The companies operating in the port area, their personnel and visitors to the companies shall comply with the safety and security guidelines issued by Port of Rauma, the regulations set forth in the Port Ordinance, the conditions and regulations of the operational environmental permit of Port of Rauma, as well as any other guidelines and regulations issued by Port of Rauma. The host company/client ordering work is responsible for the induction training of the personnel, visitors and subcontractors. Every company operating in the port area shall prepare a safety plan for the company, containing e.g. instructions for the occupational safety of the employees, their adequate induction training, as well as actions in an emergency. The common safety issues of the port area are addressed by the Occupational Safety Team, which meets at least twice a year at the invitation of Port of Rauma.
A separate permit may be required for certain work carried out in the port area. Check the specific guidelines for your work with your client. A permit from or notification to Port of Rauma is required when carrying out e.g. diving operations or underwater work, or hot work. More detailed information is provided under Forms.
Pedestrians need to first report at the Main Gate Info. They can then proceed through the gate building in and out of the port area. Alternatively, they can use the gate provided for cyclists and pedestrians: Wait until the gate is opened from the Main Gate Info (you will hear a click when the lock is opened). Push the gate open with hand.
After reporting at the Main Gate Info, proceed to the gate provided for cyclists and pedestrians and wait until the gate is opened from the Main Gate Info (you will hear a click when the lock is opened). Place the front wheel of the cycle in the groove. The gate opens automatically upon detecting the metal in the groove. The other side of the gate has to be pushed open with hand.
Prking is allowed in the quay areas only in indicated parking spaces. Only short-term (max. 30 min) parking for official business is allowed on the quays, provided the car is equipped with a yellow flashing light and parked on the side of the quay. If parking on a quay, the driver is responsible for any caused damage to the vehicle.
Remember in the port
- Follow traffic rules.
- Observe your environment.
- Avoid walking in the port area.
- Do not walk while talking on your mobile.
- Beware of level crossings and railway lines.
- Operators of work machines may not be able to see you – always give way!
- Report any risks and incidents you detect to the Main Gate Info, tel. +358 (0) 2 837 1000.
- In an emergency:
call 112 and
the Main Gate Info, tel. +358 (0) 2 837 1000.
- Obey speed limits: max. speed on Hakunintie Road 40 km/h, in container terminal 20 km/h, in other areas 30 km/h.
- Do not drive or walk outside indicated routes, which are also marked in the port area map.
- When moving from one part of the port to another, the traffic routes in the background areas should be primarily used instead of quay areas, unless specifically necessary for the performance of work duties.
- The work areas between loading or unloading ships and the warehouses are reserved exclusively for stevedoring activities and all other traffic is forbidden in these areas.
- Exercise special care near doors and door openings as well as at the corners of buildings.
- Unnecessary moving in unloading and loading areas is forbidden.
- Check the weight of the load from the documents. If you suspect the weight is too large, weigh the load on the weighbridge of the Port of Rauma at the Main Gate (pay the weighbridge charge in the Main Gate control room) and contact your client.
- Clean your vehicle and trailer before driving to the port area. Sort trash and waste into appropriate waste containers. The driver is responsible for the use of a locking device or wedges in the loading areas. Vehicle repairs are not permitted in the port area.
Photographing within the port area is only allowed with the permission of Port of Rauma. Please contact Esa Vuori, Harbour Master and Port Security Officer, email@example.com, tel. +358 (0)50 303 9704.